An assault involving three men escalated into a struggle with Laguna Beach police, who ultimately deployed a taser twice to subdue the younger combative suspect in the 300 block of Cozumel around 1:15 a.m. Friday, May 10, police said. Police ultimately arrested Laguna Beach resident Sergio Gabriel Borgognone, 51, for allegedly resisting arrest and his [...]
Archive for January 1st, 2010
Laguna Beach’s Elizabeth Volpicelli was presented by her father, Louis, at the 60th anniversary of the Coronet Debutante Ball at a Beverly Hills hotel in November. Proceeds from the ball go to National Charity League, which supports several philanthropies including Head Start.
Editor: Mr. Reckas’s article “Scientists, Anglers’ Views Cloud the Route Towards a Marine Reserve,” Dec. 25 edition, took a lot of space to say our fisheries are depleted. After reading the story, I got out my calculator and found out only 25 percent of our white sea bass population is left despite the picture of Bill Shedd catching a [...]
Editor, What a treat to learn that Caltrans would be doing overnight work during Christmas week! Imagine the paychecks that must generate when four people stand around one traffic cone while one worker completes a task! I so look forward to more lights, noise and work outside during the published hours of 11 p.m. to 5 [...]
Editor, I wanted to take a moment and write to you about a few exemplary individuals within our community whom I think deserve a little extra attention for their unsolicited and truly magnanimous actions over the past two weeks. I’m speaking specifically of Ivan Spiers and his staff at Mozambique restaurant, and more generally [...]
Editor, Just wondering … Does everyone know the work that Sande St. John is doing here in Laguna? How many people she has helped? She is what Laguna beach has always been about: helping others. Sande you rock! Roger Carter’s letter (“A Scrooge of a Different Sort,” Dec. 25) about the new parking fee’s at [...]
Editor: Here is a New Year resolution for about 15 percent of Laguna Beach residents to consider. The 15 percent are those who do not associate with the 19 or so faith organizations that the remaining 85 percent of Laguna Beach residents associate with. They are whom I call the unchurched. For apparently unfounded reasons, [...]
E-mail letters to: Editor@LBIndy.com Letters to the Editor serve as an important Laguna forum. This paper will provide space to nearly all who wish to express their opinion, but due to space constraints we ask letter writers to limit their topics to local concerns. Letters should be 400 words or less and will be edited [...]
Ten Percent into a New Century Far away from Laguna, into a different life, a life of family that takes us in when we are orphans of Christmas time. Stories of love and sadness, of imperfect childhoods making new patterns in fresh lives that could have been more simple and serene. Broken marriages, [...]
Laguna Beach High School junior Taylor Pitz was selected for the 12-member traveling PacSun USA Surf Team for the 2010 Quiksilver ISA World Junior Surfing Championships, in the girls under 18 division. The championships will be held Jan. 18 to 28 in Piha, New Zealand. What started out as a group of the 20 best under-18 [...]
Breakers Hold Off San Clemente 11-8 By Frank Aronoff Breakers remain undefeated and picked up their fourth victory of the season, overpowering San Clemente last Tuesday, Dec. 22 at the Triton Pool in a non-league match up of playoff division favorites. The host school is currently ranked No. 4 in SS CIF D-II [...]
The American School Counselor Association selected Jami Parsons, a counselor for El Morro and Top of the World elementary schools, as one of eight nationwide finalists and the only one from California for counselor of the year, district officials announced. Nominated by Nancy Hubbell, LBUSD’s assistant superintendent instructional services, Parsons is being recognized for making [...]
Laguna Beach Rotary Club honored Maria Goncharova, pictured above with Spanish teacher Rod Ortiz, as student of the month in December. Goncharova is a senior at Laguna Beach High School and hopes to major in linguistics. She speaks four languages and hopes to attend Georgetown University.
Thirteen students in the Laguna Beach Unified School District recently took top honors at the fifth annual My Hero Short Film Festival. “Laguna Beach is well represented in this year’s international celebration of heroes,” said Wendy Milette, My Hero’s director of media arts education and film festival. In the high school division, first place went [...]
By Tony Crowell Stocks had a good year in 2009, anticipating the economic recovery that began in the fall. Both the stock market and the global economy will continue their comebacks in 2010, although a few lagging sectors will slow the pace. The ten picks below are all big enough to absorb irregularities and each [...]