El Morro, from Joan Irvine Smith’s 2006 book “A California Woman’s Story”
”In 1927, Robert Windolph, who provided propane to the coastal farmers, secured a lease from The Irvine Company and established Tyron’s Camp on the beach at El Morro Cove north of Abalone Point; there he added a restroom and opened a market that offered fresh abalone to campers.
“Tent camping grew in popularity on the beaches of California during the 1930s; Tryron’s Camp eventually was renamed El Morro Camp, after the beach it represented. Trailers and recreational vehicles replaced tent camping in the 1940s, and parking spaces were made available for trailers on the beach as well as on the inland side of the Coast Highway. In 1954 the facility was renamed El Morro Trailer Park.”
Historical photos courtesy of Laguna Beach Historical Society