Trying to scare up foot-traffic for Laguna Beach’s merchants, the town’s Chamber of Commerce tapped the creative juices of its members to devise its first ever Scarecrow Fest.
Scarecrows of varying size and scariness have already sprouted from rooftops and fence posts around town. Inspired by a visit to the city of Solvang, the contest is intended to celebrate Halloween and the decor that accompanies the kid-pleasing holiday, said the chamber’s executive director, Kristine Thalman.
Residents and visitors alike can cast ballots for the best scarecrow in several categories, ranging from “most artistic” to “best use of natural materials.” Ballots, available at 22 participating merchants, runs through Oct. 25. Winners will receive either a cash prize, free advertising or an opportunity to showcase their winning scarecrow at Hospitality night!
See full list online at lagunabeachindy.com
1. Pacific Marine Mammal Center, 20612 Laguna Canyon Rd.
2 John Barber Glass Design, 21062 Laguna Canyon Rd.
2.Nokes & Quinn, 410 Broadway St.
3.Laguna Beach Visitors Bureau, 381 Forest Ave.
5. Spice Merchants, 311 Ocean Ave.
6. Art Hotel, 1404 N. Coast Hwy.
7. Laguna Beach Legal, 682 N. Coast Hwy.
8. Tommy Bahama Restaurant ,400 S. Coast Hwy.
9. Artists in Recovery Gallery, 658 S. Coast Hwy.
10. Buy Hand, 670 S. Coast Hwy,
11. Orange Inn, 703 S. Coast Hwy,
12. Otana Brow & Beauty, 777 S. Coast Hwy.
13. Merrilee’s Swimwear, 790 S. Coast Hwy.
14. Taim Boutique, 1259 S. Coast Hwy.
15. European Optical, 1276 S. Coast Hwy.
16. Hotel La Casa del Camino, 1289 S. Coast Hwy.
17. The Passionate Collector, 1294 S. Coast Hwy.
18. Isla Boutique, 1330 S. Coast Hwy.
19. Laguna Nursery, 1370 S. Coast Hwy.
20. The Vintage Poster 1492 S. Coast Hwy.
21. Strands & Stitches, 1516 S. Coast Hwy.
22. Spa Josephine, 1833 S. Coast Hwy.
Giant Pumpkin Auctioned for a Cause
Neighborhood Congregational Church in Laguna Beach, in partnership with Transition Laguna Beach, has grown a giant pumpkin and will auction it to the highest bidder.
The winner will be announced at the church’s Bingo Night of Family Fun on Saturday, Oct. 19. Proceeds will go for the Neighborhood Church gardens that provide fresh produce to help feed those in need. The “Giant Pumpkin” can be viewed in the office window at 340 St. Ann’s Dr.
Bids should be emailed to [email protected] with “Giant Pumpkin Bid” in the subject line and be sure to include your contact information.
Winners do not have to be present to win, but bids will continue throughout that night. For more information or to see the latest bid results, visit www.ncclaguna.org or call 949-494-8061