Book Swap Tucks Good Reads into New Hands
In honor of International Friendship Month, Laguna Beach Books will hold a community book swap to benefit the Friendship Shelter from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 27. Readers are invited to bring up to 10 good quality books to swap, including fiction, non-fiction, mystery books, children’s books, cookbooks, et al.
The store at 1200 S. Coast Highway will hold a special book raffle at 2:30 p.m. and offer refreshments. Participants will also have the chance to peruse art on display and created by the Friendship Art Collective, who include former shelter residents.
The suggested donation is $10 and proceeds will go to the Friendship Shelter, which strives to help homeless adults achieve self-sufficiency. Used books will sell for $2 each to those without books to swap.
Mideast Protests Magnify an Author’s Subject
The public is invited to hear author Sandy Tolan discuss his award-winning book, “The Lemon Tree: An Arab, A Jew and The Heart of the Middle East,” at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 3, at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, 428 Park Ave.
Tolan, who will have just returned from the region, will have a real sense of the current revolts convulsing the area. The book was a selection of the monthly book group St. Mary’s Reads.
Novelist Evokes a Bygone Era
Monte Schultz’s latest work “The Last Rose of Summer” is due for publication next month and the author plans a visit at Laguna Beach’s Latitude 33 Bookshop on Friday, March 4, at 6 p.m. as part of his release tour.
Schulz has created a story about three women of the American midwest in the year before the Depression.
Schulz, of Santa Barbara, is the eldest son of cartoonist Charles M. Schulz.
Tunes & Tomes
Top sales/rentals for the week ending Feb. 20:
Sound Spectrum, 1264 S. Coast Highway
Top 10 Bestsellers
1. 2011 Grammy Nominees, V.A. (G)
2. Herbie Hancock, Imagine Project (G)
3. Arcade Fire, The Suburbs (G)
4. Florence & The Machine, Lungs (G)
5. Black Keys, Brothers (G)
6. Adele, 21
7. Bob Marley, Live Forever (Last Concert)
8. Jeff Beck, Rock-N-Roll Party
9. Esperanza Spaulding, Chamber Music Society (G)
10. Bright Eyes, The People’s Key
Laguna Beach Books, The Old Pottery Place, 1200 S. Coast Highway
Top 10 Bestsellers
1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
2. Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland
3. The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow
4. Just Kids by Patti Smith
5. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner
6. The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O’Farrell
7. The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
8. Heliopolis by James Scudamore
9. Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips
10. One Day by David Nicholls
Latitude 33 Bookshop, 311 Ocean Avenue
Top 10 Bestsellers – Fiction and Nonfiction
1. Just Kids by Patti Smith
2. The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna
3. We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen
4. Swamplandia! By Karen Russell
5. An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
6. Wild and Beautiful: A Natural History of Open Spaces in Orange County by Allan Schoenherr
7. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
8. Broken Colors by Michele Zackheim
9. A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cosse
10. The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow
Barnaby Rudge Videos, 1445 Glenneyre Street
Top 10 DVD Rentals
1. The Social Network
3. The Kids Are All Right
5. Nowhere Boy
6. Wall Street 2
7. You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger
8. Never Let Me Go