Breakers track athletes attended the New Balance National Outdoor Meet last weekend at North Carolina A&T in Greensboro, North Carolina, and the 4×1 mile relay team of Mateo Bianchi, Logan Brooks, Ryan Smithers, and Sebastian Fisher finished fourth out of 28 teams with a 17:28.82 time, earning All-American honors in the event. The squad ran under the club banner “Beach Boys Track Club.”
Co-ed Surf Club
Laguna’s Surf Team closed out the season with a third-place team finish at the NSSA National Championships held at Salt Creek this past weekend. It was the Breakers third straight bronze performance at this event.
NSSA High School Varsity Team Scores
- San Clemente 126, 2. Huntington Beach 118, 3. Laguna Beach 84, 4. Dana Hills 83, 5. Kamehameha 70
- Mid Pacific (HI) 67, 7. Cocoa Beach 61, 8. Kahuku 53, 9. San Dieguito Academy 49, 10. Mira Costa 45
- Edison 42, 12. Manasquan 31, 13. Newport Harbor 26, 14. Waialua 23, 15. Ocean City 22
- Marina 19, 17. St. Augustine Prep 12
High School Varsity Boys
1-Kai McPhillips-San Clemente 16.33, 2. Ty Kane-Kamehameha 13.00, 3. Ethan Mudge-San Clemente 12.43
- Luke Guinaldo-Huntington Beach 10.50, 5. Kiko Nelson-Laguna Beach 8.27, 6. Carl Burger-Cocoa Beach 7.60
High School Varsity Girls
- Ella McCaffray-San Dieguito 14.16, 2. Chiasa Maruyama-Huntington Beach 11.73, 3. Cascia Collings-Dana Hills 11.70, 4. Kayla Coscino-Laguna Beach 9.63, 5. Hoku Topping-Mid Pacific 9.50, 6. Morgan Morris-Cocoa Beach 4.06
High School Varsity Longboard
- Kahanu Cuban-Kamehameha 16.00, 2. Ethan Mudge-San Clemente 13.76, 3. Jovan Smith Scott-Huntington Beach 10.87, 4. Patrick O’Connor-Dana Hills 10.17, 5. David Rochlen-Mid Pacific 10.16, 6. Kevin Fortney-Manasquan 7.10
Boys Basketball is currently playing in the Godinez summer league and will be playing at Corona Del Mar this weekend in another summer tournament. Girls Indoor Volleyball JO’s are in Indianapolis June 27 through July 6, while the Boys JO’s are in Dallas June 30 to July 7. The Girls 18’s JO’s were held in April with the remaining divisions to be contested in Indianapolis at the end of this month. The 50th annual Water Polo JO’s are here in Orange County with the finals at Irvine’s Woollett Center. Boys run July 20-23 and the Girls July 25-28. Sand Volleyball Junior Nationals is in Manhattan Beach July 18-23.
Athletic Alumni Notes
Taylor Dodson ’09 was recently named Head Coach for Women’s Water Polo at Indiana. Dodson was a three-time All-CIF performer for Laguna in 2007-2009 and a key member of the 2009 D2 CIF championship team in Ethan Damato’s first year as head coach. Taylor went on to star at California and was co-captain of the 2011 Bear squad that lost in the NCAA finals. She was a four-time Academic All-American for Cal.