We request the Laguna Beach City Council reject the Arts Commission’s Village Entrance Sculpture for the following reasons:
- Laguna’s taxpaying residents have been ignored. The overwhelming output by citizens has not been listened to by the Arts Commission. A project this big, this permanent, and this expensive should not be decided upon by only six individuals. Rather, the project should be put up for a vote for residents of Laguna Beach.
- In an attempt to be “forward thinking” the Arts Commission has completely ignored why millions of tourists descend on Laguna. As urbanization squeezes the inland empire, Laguna Beach is an endangered species of natural beauty. The hills, cliffs, coastline, parks and seashore all remain priceless in the midst of this encroachment. Would Yosemite be more welcoming with a “million dollar mushroom?” Many large cities, airports, including “downtown Dubai” have these artistic metal sculptures. This type of artwork does not seem well placed in the natural setting of our town. We ask the council to honor the geography of Laguna Beach and save the million dollar plus price tag to use the money elsewhere.
- Please consider using the artistic talent we have right in our own city and consider the possibility of a revolving art display making use of the talents of Laguna’s own artists.
James and Sondra Sieg, Laguna Beach
Firebrand Media LLC wants comments that advance the discussion, and we need your help to accomplish this mission. Debate and disagreement are welcomed on our platforms but do it with respect. We won't censor comments we disagree with. Viewpoints from across the political spectrum are welcome here. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, our community is not obliged to host all comments shared on its website or social media pages, including:
- Hate speech that is racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic slurs, or calls for violence against a particular type of person.
- Obscenity and excessive cursing.
- Libelous language, whether or not the writer knows what they're saying is false.
Scroll down to comment on this post.