Boys Sand Volleyball (6-2)
Breakers advance to the finals for the fourth consecutive year, but lost again to defending champion Newport Harbor on their home court.
Thursday, Nov 2 – Orange County finals at Grant Street
Newport Harbor 4.5 Laguna 2.0
1) Ayrton Garcia –Geste Bianchi lost 21-14, 18-21, 10-15
2) Josh McManus –Cam Garcia won 19-21, 21-19, 15-8
3) George Knapp and Andrew Reavis won 21-19, 18-21, 15-1
4) Sam Burgi and Guy Thomas lost 17-21, 17-21
5) Jett Rocha –Charlie Pilsbury lost 14-21, 21-18, 11-15
4-Man (A Garcia, Bianchi, McManus, C Garcia) lost 22-28
Darren Utterback, the program’s only coach the past four seasons announced he is stepping down from the sand program but will continue as the indoor coach.
Girls Volleyball (20-8)
Laguna was upset in the quarterfinals on Saturday, Nov. 4, losing to sixth-ranked Westridge of Pasadena 24-26, 25-17, 25-27, 21-25. Breakers were missing head coach Shawn Patchell and sophomore opposite Soren Patchell, out of town for a family funeral. Chloe Edep was key in the second set victory with some exceptional serving. The last set Laguna was up 20-17 only to get out scored 8-1 to end the season. It was the programs 39th trip to the quarterfinals and only the 13th time they did not advance.View Our User Comment Policy