Seeking the President’s Help


(This letter was sent to President Obama.)

May I please have permission to smoke medical marijuana in my home, which is permissible according to the laws of the great State of California?

Last year at this time I was in the psychiatric ward of a hospital for the first time in my life.  Three months later I was admitted for my second stay in a loony bin.

I am an adult, soon to be 57.  Some would consider me a senior citizen.  I am disabled.  I have been homeless three times.  I have several health and mental illness challenges.  Medical marijuana helps with many of these challenges better than most medications prescribed me for over 15 years.

I am a recipient of entitlement programs.  My government generously allows me the freedom to live on my own by assisting me with Social Security Disability Income and HUD housing funds.  The HUD funds are administered by the Orange County Housing Authority in California through a program called Shelter Plus Care.  This program was developed for people with mental illness who have been chronically homeless.

I could be in danger of losing my home because of the generous HUD assistance that, for me, conflicts with federal mandates against use of medical marijuana.

May I please have special dispensation and reasonable accommodation to smoke medical marijuana in my hard-earned and lovely home?

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.  I would appreciate your assistance.

Jane Stahlheber, Laguna Beach

About the Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply