As a Laguna Beach resident for nearly 20 years, I am hugely offended by the fact that Council member Toni Iseman has singled out motorcycles as an excessive noise offender.
Why couldn’t you simply say vehicles, or motor vehicles as opposed to focusing on motorcycles simply because you saw a large group of them traveling along Coast Highway one day.
Would you be surprised if I told you that this group of motorcyclists was on a sanctioned fundraising ride donating a large amount of money to a national children’s charity? But perhaps you don’t care or you just don’t like motorcycles.
Ms. Iseman, it is highly inappropriate to single out motorcycles when in fact all motor vehicles can at times be noisy and many automobiles in town are often much louder than motorcycles.
In the spirit of “making little changes that makes things better”, here are few observations, questions, suggestions related to noise in our city that might be prudent for you to consider as a way to make things better:
- There’s a person deemed as the Laguna Greeter (Mike Minutoli) who stands on a corner spinning, dancing and waving to passersby promoting the honking of their horns….please stop doing that
- During permitted protests/demonstrations on the Main Beach lawn, 1,000s of cars honk their horns in favor or opposition of the demonstration….please stop doing that
- On most warm sunny weekends, small planes towing advertising banners are very noisy….please stop doing that
- Many drivers play their obnoxiously loud car stereos at a deafening level….please stop doing that
- Countless LB homeowners seem to think it’s OK for their dogs to bark persistently day and night….please stop doing that
- The LBHS PA system is very loud and the sound reverberates for miles…please stop doing that
- There are already too many signs telling guests and locals what they cannot do; no smoking, no drones, no fishing, no dog poop, no loud motorcycles, no fireworks, etc,….please stop doing that
- Regarding the aforementioned signs, the sign on Laguna Canyon Road indicates that “Loud Motorcycles will be cited”….please stop doing that. If you must, change it to No Loud Vehicles
- I can’t park my very quiet motorcycle on Cliff Drive when visiting Heisler Park and the lawn bowling club because motorcycle parking is prohibited….please stop doing that
I hope you can hear me through all the noise, thanks for listening.
Mike Webster, Laguna BeachFirebrand Media LLC wants comments that advance the discussion, and we need your help to accomplish this mission. Debate and disagreement are welcomed on our platforms but do it with respect. We won't censor comments we disagree with. Viewpoints from across the political spectrum are welcome here. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, our community is not obliged to host all comments shared on its website or social media pages, including:
- Hate speech that is racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic slurs, or calls for violence against a particular type of person.
- Obscenity and excessive cursing.
- Libelous language, whether or not the writer knows what they're saying is false.
Scroll down to comment on this post.