Laguna Beach firefighters quickly put out a fire at a ground-level apartment on Fairview Street that broke out about 10 p.m. Tuesday night, according to firefighters.
An external vent from a wall heater ignited trash stored outside the apartment, said Division Chief Tom Christopher.
The first engine to respond to the blaze was able to squelch the fire before it threatened other nearby structures, Christopher said.
Smoke damage, however, made the apartment occupied by a single resident uninhabitable, he said.
View Our User Comment Policy